August 6, 2007

Sunny Vista, La Hueca
16" x 20"
oil on canvas

Palomilla's Cuban Restaurant

Maybe you read Cliff Bostock's review in last week's Creative Loafing, but in case you missed it read what he had to say about the wonderful Cuban food there:

"....Palomilla's Cuban Grill House *6470 Spalding Drive, Norcross, 770-242-0078) may well ruin my taste for food at other Cuban restaurants. This inconspicuous suburban cafe opened less than a year ago in a strip shopping center. It serves the best Cuban food I have ever tasted. And believe me, that's saying a lot. Years ago, I was married to a Cuban woman whose mother was a spectacular cook, and I've spent a good bit of time in Miami."

Those who know Cliff's work as food critic for Creative Loafing know he is no pushover when it comes to the appreciation of the good things in life. That's why I was so pleased by the next paragraph in his review:

"Palomilla's is as plain inside as it is outside. Brown seems to be the predominant color. An exception to the monochromatic scheme is the art. I was pleased to see colorful landscape paintings by an old friend, Ellie Harold, who was pastor of Unity Midtown about 15 years ago."

If you're withing driving distance of Norcross, I hope you'll treat yourself to a great meal. And while you're there, check out some of my Caribbean paintings.

(When I first visited Palomilla's I too was struck by the brown-ness of it all. I contacted Elizardo -- the other Ellie -- to see if he'd like to show and sell my work on consignment. He was delighted. This arrangement makes certain I'll get some of their tasty food -- I like the hefty portions of black beans, rice and plantains that accompany the entrees -- and enjoy my own art while I eat.)

The other night I got a call from my first customer, a gentleman wishing to purchase "First Light Playa Esperanza" for his wife for their anniversary. I'd thought the only outlet for my Caribbean art was in Vieques. Who knew being wrong could feel so right!

No comments: