January 9, 2008

Dunescape Martha's Vineyard
oil on canvas
30" x 40"
$2100

My First Painting of 2008

Happy New Year!

I love getting back to work after the holidays, especially when the work is making Art. As I was preparing for the Goal-Setting for Artists workshop this past weekend, it became crystal clear to me that for artists to be satisfied in life, they must Do Art. If I am to find meaning in Life, I must not simply talk about painting (as enjoyable as that is) I must also paint.

So, here is my first offering to the Painting God for 2008: a large, sunny dunescape. I've been envisioning this scene ever since painting a small study at Lambert's Cove Beach on Martha's Vineyard one afternoon last September. The effect of the large painting is that you feel you're at the beach and it's possible to walk up the path to those warmly-lit trees on the other side of the dune.

I'll be heading back down to Vieques. Siddhia Hutchinson called right after to Christmas to let me know she'd sold 4 of my paintings. Then she called a couple of days later to say she'd sold 3 more. These are really my first substantial gallery sales and I'm very pleased! I'll be painting to replenish my inventory down there and dipping my toes in the water occasionally, I'm sure.

Before I go, however, there's a show at the Marietta-Cobb Museum this Saturday evening to which I'd like to invite you if you're in the area. It's called "Reflections: Celebrating Georgia Women Artists." This is a juried show and I'm pleased to report that of 279 submissions, with 80 selected for the show, 3 are mine! The reception is from 6-8p.m. and there is a $5 admission for non-members. The Museum is housed in the old Library where I used to go to homework (and other things) when I was in high school. It will be fun to show you my work if you turn up!

I hope you're off to a fresh start doing your Art -- whatever that may be!



No comments: